Saturday, May 27, 2006

American Idols

I know what everyone mut be thinking...Taylor Hicks, superstar...the man everyone loves and admires. Ah no! You see, I'm a huge fan of the true American Idols and that would be those we celebrate Memorial Day for...our American Troops currently serving or deceased. It's kind of disappointing that so many people have this holiday weekend to take off school or work or whatever and go to the beach or throw a Sunday night party when I don't think people appreciate or even know why we celebrate this day as a National Holiday!? I think the greatest title anyone can ever bear for themselves is American Soldier...how cool would that be to be known as an American Soldier, I know I would take that title anyday over being known as Coach or Triathlete or whatever. I'm not really sure what inspired me to write this blog post but I just got major love for especially the oldies who served in some major old school warfare. I visited Gettysburg not long ago (it's only 45 minutes from my house) and the gruesomeness of those battles was amazing...and it was Civil War! But as crazy as that sounds today, that's what it took I guess to get us to where we are today to be able to do all the things that it seems everyone in other countries can't!?!?! OK, that's all I have to say about that....
Except when I was out for a ride yesterday, I battled through the longest workout of the season so far in the most humid day of the spring so far and I rode across the Mason-Dixon line. There's so much history out here it amazing! It sure makes for adventurous bike rides...but, I ended up going for the motherlode of training rides, 104 miles on the bike finished off with a 6 mile 'run' just to see how it would feel. My legs actually felt real good but my stomach was a little queezy from pushing so much fluid and salt due to the humidity. I think come race day I'll pack a few more PB &J's because I got pretty dang hungry too. I didn't have ANY cramps but man I got hungry! Any good tips?
And tomorrow should be a good day, a couple old pals and my bro are coming to town and we'll spend the day in DC checking out all the sight as I play tour guide...again. But DC sure is the place where you could a whole week and only see 1/10 of all there is to see...so maybe we'll explore a little and learn something else about our great country where we can pay our respects to those who have given us what we have...I'm just sayin'!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am one of those that revels in the extra day off, but doesn't pay homage to the ones who deserve it. Think I will call or e-mail my dad and grandfather's and tell them thank you.

I always get nauseous when I have too much sugar during long distance events (heat or no heat). I seem to do better with pretzels and fruit with a few gels thrown in. But then - I have never done an IronMan. At least it will be cooler in CD'A.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

funny... just today i was thinking about when you left good old ogden and told me to go to the soldiers graves on memorial day and leave flowers. you've got your head on straight, big purp. i think benny and i will be heeding your advice.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Papa Tweet said...

Thanks for the reminder. You are right, we all need to be more appreciative.

As for the nutrition, I used PBJ during my race, and probably won't do it next time. I tried it in training a few times and it went fine, but the rigors of race day made it tough. If you do it, spread the peanut butter pretty thin as fat can slow the digestion of the carbs. Also, make sure you use white bread for faster absorption to your muscles. Other than that, just make sure you practice it in training before you try it in the race.

As far as drinks, what are you using? Liquid carbs hit your muscles much faster than solid. I like Cytomax mixed with Carbo Pro. That's just my preference.

Are you drinking Enurox yet. Uf not, call me. You really need to use this stuff. It's amazing! By far my favorite sports product. Anyway, nice job on the long ride. Be careful you don't over do it before your short race that's coming up. You are going to rock IM, trust me. You totally have the tools and abilities. You will do great. Take care
Benny

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home