Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Here's to You!

Not the beer kind, but I'll get to the true meaning of this post in a second. You see, I got 3 brothers and they kill me with their humor. So much so that I went for a 10 mile run yesterday and laughed to myself, and probably out loud for about 1/2 of it. People in cars must have thought "who's that crazy guy" going for a run and laughing. I'll get carple tunnel if I get into the hilarity of it but wow, what great guys and how lucky I am!
OK, so the other 1/2 of my run last night I was thinkin' about my momma. I'm a big fan of my mom. Anyways, as I was growing up she always provided us the opportunity to play outside and encouraged us to be active. She allowed us only 30 minutes of TV twice a week and disallowed MTV, Atari or Nintendo. And I didn't know any different so it was all good. My mom was the one who was so athletic that I always wanted to race and couldn't beat her in the 40-yard dash until I was 14. And when we drove home from anywhere as a family I challenged her to a race home from the end of the block while my dad & sister cheered for my mom and my bro's cheered for me. I really don't remember ever winning and of course she NEVER let me win. But on May 17 my mom is having a minimally invasive hip replacement for an ailing hip of over about 2 years. I wonder if racing me back then was a bad idea for her...she never let on though. And so as I was running I got to thinking that I'm dedicating my race this Sunday and of course the Big One this June in Coeur D'Alene to her. She has been to a few of my races and was there for my first one 4 summers back and was planning on coming to Coeur D'Alene. But now those plans are scrapped in favor of getting healthy. I can't wait to see her with a bounce in her step again and have her cross the finish line with me next summer at a race of her choice...after all, I blame her for me getting hooked on racing.
Oh ya, and I buzzed my head last night. Man, nothing neats a nice buzz cut for summertime!

3 Comments:

Blogger Fe-lady said...

My husband (he's only 50!) had a total hip replacement a couple of summers ago. His life has changed- no running anymore, but walks four miles every morning, swims, and mountain bikes (nothing too crazy!). He is pain free and is so thankful he went through the surgery. Your mom will bounce back and feel so much better for having it done! Good luck to her!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i didn't know your mom was having those problems! please send her our best!

by the way, i don't think that we met on may 4, 1996. i think it may have been a few months earlier. but, happy 10-year anniversary to us, anyway!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Papa Tweet said...

First, please give Momma Purple our best wishes. Hip replacements have come a long way. She will feel great. Kudos for racing for your Mom. That was a nice story about the two of you.

As for equipment needs, how about your drivers lisence? Or is it in there and I missed it? Anyway, I usually skip the pump and borrow one. It never fails, a guy near me always has one and he passes it around. I agree with Nytro, you need your recovery drink. I usually measure the powder in a dry bottle and fill it when I finish. How about a little towel for cleaning your feet off before slipping on your bike shoes? Sunscreen for your stark white ass? Have fun my friend. Keep chipping away at that 100 rac goal. Did you know that Fe-Lady is in the 100 race club? I think she is anyway. Take care friend.
Benny

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home