Friday, May 05, 2006

It's like butta!

My last two bike rides have been quite eventful on the crowded east coast roads...Monday I was on a steep downhill and somewhere along the way my left aerobar arm/pad popped off and was never found again. But that's OK because I was wearing 'em out and just got a new aerobar that's even sweeter...great excuse to get a new toy. But the other day I set a world record for a flat. I was .1 mile into my ride, 37 seconds and poof, there went the rear tube. It was actually funny and I was so close to departure point I walked back to the car to change it out because I had my mega pump in the car...so, what the heck. Has anyone ever beat 37 seconds for a flat? Speaking of biking, I love biking and the greatest ride I ever went on was in Glacier National Park, Montana. It was early July last year sometime after 4:30 pm because the road is closed to bicyclists between 11 am and 4:30 pm because of it's steepness, lack of a shoulder and traffic. Anyways, I parked at Avalanche Campground 16 miles from the Summit of Logans Pass and readied for the climb of all climbs. The road is also known as "The Road to the Sun" and it started out along a river for a fairly flat 4 miles and at mile 5 began the climb, a few switchbacks but really just a steady 12 mile climb at about 8-10%. But that's not what made the ride great - it was the fact that along the way I saw waterfalls, snow capped mountains, mountain goats (which freaked me out), hikers, no other bikers, INCREDIBLE mountain views, and funny looks on people faces definitely thinking, "what's wrong with that guy?" And what's crazy is the way up was WAY more fun than the way down. The way down was a suicide mission where if I was stupid or something mechanically happened, that would surely spell doom. I think the 16 miles up took 1:50 minutes and the way down took about 35 minutes. Anyways, I've always wanted to tell people about that ride and this is the first time I've done that. Biking to me is the greatest way ever invented to explore, and think about positive things, and it slows things down where you actually see and realize things you wouldn't if were driving or flying or whatever. Oh, I can't wait to do that again....if you ever get the chance, it's called "Road to the Sun" with a summit at Logans Pass in Glacier National Park, Montana.....I would love to hear about everyone else's favorite all time ride!!!!!!!!! Until Monday with a report on the NJ Devilman 1/2 Ironman, BigPurple Out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Good luck this weekend!!

The "Road to the Sun" trip sounds great. I visited there once, but really wasn't able to see anything - wrong time of year and we were on a time schedule.

The place I have been thinking about going to do a bike trip is Yellowstone and the Tetons. The Tetons are my favorite mountains (so far!) and I worked in Yellowstone one summer in college. BEAUTIFUL!! One of these days.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Do awesome this weekend!

Best bike ride? Riding for the first time in 4 years and remembering all the reasons I used to love it.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Papa Tweet said...

Yo Purple,
I know your racing but I have to say, you have always been a little nutty about your hill climbs. I want to tell all your readers, that Big Purple loves climbing hills so much on his bike, that he actually turns around and repeats hills, often. He does this! Can you believe this guy? If I didn't know him so well, I'd think he was abnormal. Oh wait, I do know him that good and he is abnormal. Sorry, I must retract my prior statement. He's a nut job. But, that's why we love him. Becuase he's passionate about life and passionate about improvement. Keep it up Purple.

Just so you know, my most memorable ride thusfar was my ride over North Ogden Divide. You know this road right? It was one of those days that you can climb a mountain, literally, and still feel fresh at the top. I had one of those days and I'll never forget it. It's almost time to repeat it, and stay in my middle ring the whole way. Take care Purple. Hope you are kicking ass in your tri.
Benny

6:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

where's the report, mr. purple?

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home